With the AODocs Smartbar installed, you can import your emails and their attachments from your Gmail interface into your Team Folder libraries and Secured Folder libraries. The Import into AODocs feature creates a new folder in your selected library and saves your emails as AODocs documents in the new folder.
Before running the import, you can:
- choose whether to import the email body
- define the format of the email body (if you chose to import it)
- select the attachments and inline images you want to keep
- The Import into AODocs button is available only if you can create a document in an AODocs library or if you have access to one or more Team Folders.
- The Import into AODocs feature isn't available in delegated accounts. A message appears to indicate that the operation must be run by the owner of the email account.
|Import an email|
|Access the new folder in your library from Google Drive|
Import an email
1. Open the email to import.
2. Press the Import into AODocs button.
3. The Email import into AODocs pop-up opens. There are two ways to select the destination library and folder.
- Choose from the most recent locations you imported to
- Choose a library from the library picker
Select the required library and then select the required folder or leave the Folder name field empty to import to the library root
Tip: You can use the library picker like a search field to find a library by its name.
- You only have access to the Secured Folders libraries in which you can create documents.
- You have access to all Team Folders libraries in which you have at least read rights. However, you can only import your emails into a Team Folder library in which you can create documents.
Important: Depending on your permissions in the library, a folder is created:
- at the root level of the library if you can't select a subfolder
- in a subfolder that you can select
Note: Hover over a library name in the drop-down list, then press the star button to add it as a favorite. Your favorite libraries are synchronized between AODocs and the Smartbar, so all your favorite libraries are listed in the library picker drop-down list in Gmail. Learn more: Manage your favorite libraries.
When you've selected your library and folder, a message is displayed in the pop-up indicating that a new folder will be created. The email subject becomes the name of your destination folder.
4. Press Next.
5. Define whether to import the body of your email as a Google document in the folder. The email body becomes a document in the folder, including the recipient, sender and date of receipt.
6. Define whether to import the original email in Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) format as an .eml file, attached to your AODocs document.
EML is a file extension for email messages in the MIME RFC 822 standard format.
An EML file contains all the original email data (headers, body and attachments).
This format is often used to archive emails. You can open EML files with most email clients like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.
7. Press Next.
8. If required, deselect any attachments you want to exclude from the import.
By default, all email attachments are selected for import. Each selected attachment becomes a separate document in the new folder.
9. Press Import. A confirmation message is displayed with a link to your new folder in your Google Drive interface.
- Your import choices are saved until you reload your Gmail page or leave it. If you want to import another email to AODocs, the previous options are automatically selected.
-If you import an email that's part of a conversation, its body will contain the bodies and inline images of previous emails in the conversation. Only the attachments of the imported email are imported.
Access the new folder in your library from Google Drive
You can now access your newly created folder from the Google Drive interface.