A category is a type of field you can assign to a custom property in an AODocs document.
A category is composed of a set of defined values. For example, a category named Manufacturer could have a list of predefined manufacturers. Users can select predefined values for a category in a drop-down list in the edit mode of a document.
As a library administrator, you can:
|Create and configure categories|
|Define a list of values|
|Search for category values|
|Configure default categories|
|Configure the default Folder category|
|Configure the default Tags category|
Create and configure categories
Important: Categories are configured at the library level and can be used as a field type for several custom properties in the same document class or in different document classes.
To create a category:
1. Open the library administration interface.
2. Under Categories, select Add new value and enter the name of your new category.
You can rename your category by selecting its name.
Note: The name of the category appears in the drop-down list where you select the field type of a property.
3. Select Dynamic value if you want to allow contributors to add new values to the predefined list. New values added by contributors will then be available for all users.
If you don’t select Dynamic value, the list is frozen and contributors can only select values from the predefined list.
Tip: As contributors can add new values to a dynamic category, we recommend that library administrators regularly check the list of category values for duplicate or irrelevant values.
4. Once the category is created, you can define the list of values.
5. Press the name of your category to rename it.
6. Select Delete if you don’t need a category anymore.
Note: You can’t delete a category if it’s assigned to a property.
Define a list of values
1. Under Categories, select Define values for the category you want to add values to.
2. Select Add new value and enter the category values in the first column. You can add a short name for a category value in the second column.
– Values are displayed in the document page (view mode) where users assign values to categories.
– Short names are displayed in views.
- You can configure hierarchical sublevels for your category values
- If you have a long list of values to define (with or without a hierarchy), you can add your list of values using a CSV file
3. Select the edit button to rename values or their short names.
4. To remove values:
- Select delete to permanently delete them.
Important: If a value is assigned to a document (on current or previous versions) you won't be able to delete it. In this situation, we recommend to set the value as outdated.
- Check the Outdated checkbox to keep a specific value for history purposes but prevent contributors from assigning this value on documents.
Note: When a value is outdated, it's still displayed on documents where the value was previously assigned.
– If a user updates the document, they must change the outdated value on a property to an available value.
– On new documents, the property field doesn’t display outdated category values.
Search for category values
If your category level contains a long list of values, you can run a search.
1. Open a category level.
2. Enter a search value in the search box and press Search.
The results matching your search appear.
Note: The search applies to the current category level.
3. Press Reset to return to the original list.
Note: AODocs has recommended limits for the number of values defined in a category.
Configure default categories
Configure the default Folder category
All library types have one Folder category by default.
Note: You can't delete the Folder category.
For Team Folder libraries and Secured Folder libraries, the Folder category represents the folder structure visible in Google Drive and the AODocs interface. For Document Management libraries, the Folder category is never visible in Google Drive and is only visible in the AODocs interface.
At the document class level:
- in Team Folders and Secured Folders, a folder system property is always created; you can rename it but you can't delete it
- in Document Management libraries, a folder system property is created, but it is not active by default; you can activate it and rename it
Configure the default Tags category
Team Folder and Secured Folder libraries have a default Tags category.
You can add values for Tags in view mode (whereas you must be in edit mode to add values for custom categories).
At the document class level, it is optional select the property with the field type Tags. You can delete the Tag category if it's not activated at any document class level.
Configuring and defining values for the Tags category is similar to custom categories.